Take Root #10

Day 10

1 Peter3:1-4

 In the same way, you wives, be subject to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won over without a word by the behavior of their wives, 2 as they observe your pure and respectful behavior. 3 Your adornment must not be merely the external—braiding the hair, wearing gold jewelry, or putting on apparel; 4 but it should be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. 

This seems like a great verse for us men, but if you dig just a little it is actually pretty ominous. 

God clearly is telling our wives to submit…He says be pure and respectful…that sounds great until I consider what that means from God’s viewpoint. 

I have a daughter who is engaged – my advice to her has been that she should be a respectful wife …however I have informed her fiancé that I expect him to absolutely earn that respect by putting her first. God’s command to our wives carries the same warning for us. 

In other words, I may win an argument with my wife…but if she defers to God and obeys this verse…my argument is no longer between her and me – but between God and me – and that is an argument I will not win. 

What do you suppose God’s response would be if I take advantage of my wife’s obedience to scripture and choose not to obey the verse that commands me to love her like He loves the church?

This verse is not only clear direction to the wife - but a clear warning to the husband…. God is saying you’re the quarterback …I’ve told the team to listen to you… be a selfless leader…or you will answer to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Root Day #1

Take Root Day #6

Take Root Day #7