Take Root #13

Day 13

1 Peter 3:13-17

13 And who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? 14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be in dread, 15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, but with gentleness and respect; 16 and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who disparage your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame. 17 For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong.

Two issues here…. “And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be in dread…” the writer here is talking about real fear and dread from real attacks.  

I recently watched a documentary on William Tyndale who was burned at the stake in 1536. He was executed for translating the bible into English so the common man could read it.  This makes my hesitancy to make things uncomfortable at times by talking about Jesus seem pathetic. 

Being ready to make a defense means not only ready to be ridiculed but actually be ready to put myself in danger for the gospel. The time for us to have that opportunity may be approaching faster than we think. 

The second issue is …” keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who disparage your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.” 

Do I do this?  

I strive to not break the law but is my behavior such that by its own merits it puts to shame those who slander me?  I think my level of righteous living needs to move up a few notches.  I need to not only - not do things that disqualify me – but do things that qualify me.

I need to love more intentionally, and that love needs to be directed more broadly to those who don’t look like me, or think like I do…these will be the ones to disparage me...Unfortunately, unless I change the way I treat them – some may have the right to do so. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Root Day #1

Take Root Day #6

Take Root Day #7