Take Root #19

 Day 19

1 Peter 4:17-19
17 For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18 And if it is with difficulty that the righteous is saved, what will become of the godless man and the sinner? 19 Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God are to entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.

When I was in College Steve Camp had a song that was titled “Judgement begins in the house of God”.   The verse has always impacted, and kind of confused me. 

It seems to be one of those near/far prophecies as Peter is likely referring to Ezekiel 9:6 and Jesus also speaks of judgement and tribulation at the end for the church. In Matthew 24: 8-9 “But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pains. 9“Then they will hand you over to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.” It is getting easier and easier to see how this can happen.

As far as beginning with the house of God…. I always felt like it applied in a way that my earthly Dad expects more of me than he does of others…If I got in trouble doing something with my friends, we would all be punished but I would be first. 

Peter seems to use it as motivation for evangelism…if it is going to be bad for the church imagine the agony of your lost friends… He says to trust God and seek the salvation of others while there is time.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Root Day #1

Take Root Day #6

Take Root Day #7